| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

DIY interactive electronic board for Triomino game

SamBatti88 , 10-08-2023, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new on the forum. I am a DIY enthusiast with a passion for 3D printing and laser cutting/engraving.
I also love 3D design on Fusion 360.

I am starting to become passionate about electronic projects such as Arduino / robotics / electronic games.

I started designing/manufacturing an electronic interactive board for the Triomino game.

My idea is to design a board on which players can place the pieces without them moving.

The pieces of the game must each be equipped with a mini electronic card in which I store the numbers of the piece.

The board and pieces will be magnetized, the pieces will so be placed correctly and don't move.

Each piece will have copper connectors for quick connection like some watch chargers.

When the player places the piece on the board, the motherboard receives the information and notes the total score of the pieces on the display and if there are score bonus to add (bridge, hexagon).

Also, if the player places the piece in a wrong location, a beep indicates this.

I have a clear idea in my head of how electronic circuits should be designed, but I don't know how to do it because I really have basic knowledges on electronics/PCB.

I can do the design on Fusion 360 and share it with you to better understand the project.

Would it be great if any members want to join me in this project? profiles in electronics and Arduino programming, other?

For my part, I will realize the 3D design on Fusion 360. The manufacturing of the prototype board with my laser machine. Manufacturing Triomino parts with my 3D printer.

Thank you in advance and see you soon.

Sincerely

Sam​
qdrives , 10-08-2023, 02:32 PM
A simple trick might be to use resistance values for the numbers and 'scan' the resistance on the board. That way, the pieces would not need any active electronics. Only resistor and connector.
So for instance 0=100....300ohm, 1=500...800ohm, etc. Do leave plenty of room for contact resistance. https://www.digikey.nl/en/products/d...-001101/682912
Use the magnet for an additional connection force.
Comments:
SamBatti88, 10-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Hi, I don’t understand exactly how to use resistance values for numbers.And I have another difficulty, how to say to the microcontroller that the piece is placed on place A1, A2, etc ? Like on chess game, each case has an unique address.Thank you
qdrives , 10-09-2023, 02:18 PM
I don’t understand exactly how to use resistance values for numbers.
The board can measure it. Depending on the resistance value, it associates it with a number.

how to say to the microcontroller that the piece is placed on place
It knows the 'previous' state so a change in resistance (to use my suggestion) from infinite to lower, is due to placing a piece.
Comments:
SamBatti88, 10-09-2023, 02:42 PM
I understand, and what about to address each place with a unique ID ? I need that in case of a player place a piece in a wrong place for example.
qdrives , 10-10-2023, 01:49 PM
Your pcb has contacts that the system can use to measure the resistance. It does require fixed positions, but I understood that from your description too.
The circles in the picture below are the contact points on the board (PCB) that the pieces need to make contact with.
A wrong place detection is software, not hardware.

SamBatti88 , 10-10-2023, 01:56 PM
I got it, thank you very much for your help. I’ll keep you in touch with my progress in the project. All is easy for me except electronic part because I’m a novice it’s my first pcb.
qdrives , 10-10-2023, 02:15 PM
Another suggestion is to add a bi-color LED in the center of the piece (LED is on the board).
Green is ok, Red is wrong.
Comments:
SamBatti88, 10-12-2023, 10:09 AM
Hi, here is more details about the game:I need to address every piece place on the board with a unique ID (see the photo below).When the game start, the first player must place the first piece on the red place (J41, J42, J43) and the second player place his piece on the board.Conditions (2 conditions): 1) if the second piece is not placed on one of the following place: (I41, I42, I43) or (K41, K42, k43) or (J51, J52, J53) then the red LED on the piece lights up2) the adjacent numbers must be the same, example: J41 = I42 = 6 for example AND J42 = I43 = 1 for example => the green LED on the piece lights up ELSE the red LED on the piece lights up.etc, etc...
SamBatti88 , 10-12-2023, 10:13 AM
Here is the board with unique ID that I need on the PCB:

qdrives , 10-12-2023, 01:08 PM
You could help the players by lighting the LED on the places where a piece may be placed.
Especially if you want them to place the first piece in the red marked triangle.

For bi-color LEDs with red and green, if you activate both LEDs you get orange.
Then again, there are color blind people that only see on / off for those colors.

Is this the actual 'size' of the board? So 19x8 places?
SamBatti88 , 10-12-2023, 01:14 PM
No it’s just an example board to discuss about the pcb components and exchange data with the microcontroller.

what about places ID, and idea on how to interpret that by the microcontroller ?
does I need the exact inputs number on the microcontroller than the number of IDs ?
qdrives , 10-12-2023, 01:53 PM
In order to address the places, you use a matrix.
The 'top' supplies the voltage and bottom connects to Gnd. Or more in layman's terms: the + and -
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?