| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Seeking advice on Flexible antenna design for NFC applications.

Ab25 , 09-01-2023, 11:11 AM
Hello everyone. This is my first post, so I apologise if I have asked a dumb question. I have a couple of questions about flexible substrates and NFC antenna design. I will try to keep them brief.
  1. [*=1]How do I get started with flexible antenna design? If I have a design ready for a standard FR4 substrate, how do I convert it to a flexible substrate system? [*=1]What are all the factors that will be affected when we convert a standard rigid substrate to a flexible substrate?
As far as I am aware, my understanding is that in NFC applications, it is not essentially an antenna, but rather a large inductor. This is because the idea of NFC revolves around contactless energy transfer, and a larger surface area results in better performance. I would like to know more about the design itself. What are all the parameters that I should be concerned about? In traditional antenna design, I need to consider the gain, radiation pattern, S11, bandwidth, and other important parameters. But for NFC antennas, where do I start? Do only the coil inductance, number of loops, and total area matter?
I have tried to read the book "Antenna Designs for NFC Devices" by Dominique Paret, but so far I have not found it very useful (as in I have not been able to make most out of it). I would really appreciate any help I can get on this. Thank you & have a nice weekend.

Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?