| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Pin-In-Paste for USB connector

Wlada_85 , 07-19-2023, 09:00 AM
Hi,

For one of projects I selected this USB connector USB4105-GF-A.
This connector has SMD pins for signals/power and TH pins for mechanics.
Pins for mechanics are 0.95 mm long and PCB thickness is 1.6mm. (I overlooked it)
Is it possible to use Pin In Paste technology so that we can solder those pins during manufacturing ?
Does pin needs to pass through PCB?

TY.
qdrives , 07-19-2023, 03:48 PM
There is an "Ask an expert" button on the product page https://gct.co/connector/usb4105

Does pin needs to pass through PCB?
I do not recall exactly, but IPC610 may require the pin 'visible'. At least for class 3 there is this requirement.

Is it possible to use Pin In Paste technology so that we can solder those pins during manufacturing ?
t is an "SMD" connector, so it should be.
Wlada_85 , 07-20-2023, 02:41 AM
TY for your answer, I will reach to manufacturer.

I found that Pin In Paste doesn't have some "standard" and for that reason IPC610 is something closest that can be used. (https://www.circuitnet.com/experts/86568.html)

But in this case, best way is that manufacturer of connector give opinion.

BR,
Wlada_85 , 07-21-2023, 08:07 AM
Reply for manufacturer was that this connector can be used with pin in paste without pin going through the other side.

My question now, regarding Altium is how to define this in documentation ? Just to tell in draftsman that this connector have to be soldered with pin in paste or to manually add paste in paste layer or both ?

TY all
qdrives , 07-21-2023, 01:54 PM
I never designed and produced a board with PiP.

On a connector that should allow PiP in a current design I am working on, I added a pad to the Paste layer. Because where would the paste need to if the pad is on "multi-layer"? (top or bottom)?
So yes, manually add it to the paste layer.
It would be wise to note this too in the draftsman documentation.
Wlada_85 , 07-24-2023, 05:22 AM
This is also my first time

I made add opening on paste layer and I specify it on draftsman. As I saw, openings goes on layer from which connector will be inserted. If connector is on TOP then openings are on TOP ...

TY.
BR,
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?