| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

Possibility of manufacturer part name hiding in schematic

Satyaveer Singh Rawat , 11-07-2023, 12:26 AM
Hi All, Please go through attached screenshot-I of the PCB schematic in which almost all resistors manufacturer part name is visible (fortunately not other components). At the time of creating component schematic it was not visible on screen. Manufacturer part name is also not visible on overall schematic (Screenshot-II) but now it is visible on PCB (Screenshot-I). Can I hide it now in overall schematic or I have to go back and change it from component schematic? Please help.
Satyaveer Singh Rawat , 11-07-2023, 03:29 AM
I got the solution of my problem. Sharing here, maybe someone else get benefitted. Panels -> View Configuration -> Object Visibility ->Texts (hide it)
qdrives , 11-07-2023, 02:20 PM
No, it is probably the "comment" property of the footprint that is shown.

Comments:
Satyaveer Singh Rawat, 11-08-2023, 12:04 AM
Yes you are also right but by your way I have to choose each element on PCB (Whose part name) to hide part name but the method I have suggested will hide all names in one click. Other please enlighten us if there are other aspects (Pros and cons) of suggested solutions.
WhoKnewKnows , 11-08-2023, 06:45 AM
Something to consider as you learn to use Altium, is that Altium provides a number of ways to get the same thing done.

If, for example, your circuit board design happens to use text in a variety of ways, then perhaps you don't want to use such a global setting as suppressing all text. You might only want to suppress or eliminate only the text sources you want to eliminate.

Specific to this problem, I suspect the footprint for the parts in question has a text string on the silk screen layer and that text string is a parameterized function that automatically replaces itself with whatever comment is the comment field of the schematic symbol.

If this is true, you might want to edit that footprint in the library, because such a feature is of limited use for an 0402 or some other small chip component. Once you've altered the footprint there are easy ways to propagate that change throughout your design, thereby giving you the ease of use you're looking for where in one fell swoop you change all of the parts. In this case you change the parts you're not just suppressing all text to save yourself the trouble of changing all of the instances individually.
Comments:
Satyaveer Singh Rawat, 11-14-2023, 06:09 AM
Hi, Sorry but I didn't get this solution. If possible, please elaborate this in steps like what I have to do to hide part name of resistors as mentioned above. I got the possible issues with using my proposed solution but not able to follow the solution provided by you.
qdrives , 11-08-2023, 09:20 AM
As @WhoKnewKnows says, your 0805 footprint probably has the comment visible set in the library.
If you hide text in the view configuration, you also hide the designators as they are text too.

Alternatively, in the pcb filter give the filer "iscomponents". Make sure select is checked and click apply to all.
Now go to the properties panel and hide the comment.
Satyaveer Singh Rawat , 11-14-2023, 06:15 AM
@qdrives I tried this "Alternatively, in the pcb filter give the filer "iscomponents". Make sure select is checked and click apply to all.
Now go to the properties panel and hide the comment." but getting comment already hided even though part name of resistors are visible. Attached screenshot​.
qdrives , 11-15-2023, 03:19 PM
You would need to check the text. Perhaps the footprint has a string with value ".comment" visible.
If so, that leaves you to modify the footprint in the library and update it from there.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?