| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

DC Bias voltage at reference plane?

JohnsonMiller , 08-27-2023, 06:01 AM
For the characteristic impedance of a transmission line, either single-ended or differential, we set a reference plane. Can we assign a DC voltage to that reference plane and assume DC as GND in a small signal? or not that plane should be 0V or GND all the time?
In other words, in multi-layer PCB can we use a reference plane for distributing power, say 1V, and it still acts as a reference plane?
I checked this question with simulation tools, but do not know how to model and simulate it.
qdrives , 08-27-2023, 03:11 PM
There are so many video's on this topic, most known are the ones from/with Eric Bogatin. This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icRzEZF3eZo comes to mind.

Anyhow, the return plane is the plane that carries the return current back to the driver. If it is a 'power' plane, how does the current get back to driver?
The best way then is to place a capacitor close to the driver that connects the power plane to the Gnd of the driver.

What (kind of) simulation tool are you using?
JohnsonMiller , 08-28-2023, 02:05 PM
Thank you, I checked the referred video and got my answer.

I was trying to check it with HyperLynx, which seems not good for this task.
qdrives , 08-28-2023, 03:16 PM
I am no expert in HyperLynx (read: never used it, nor any other SI tool), but I would have expected that it should be able to do so...
Glad you got your answer.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?