| FORUM

FEDEVEL
Platform forum

How to generate library to start advance PCB layout course

Hina Mittal , 07-30-2023, 11:08 AM
I have tried to do the 'imported library' generation but it is showing an error so I am not able to start my course. ​
WhoKnewKnows , 07-30-2023, 12:27 PM
That's not just an error, that's a crash.

If you're using the latest version of Altium, I wonder if the course content is too old, and there's a compatibility problem 🤔.

Or, if someone else knows it's not a compatibility problem, then perhaps you've got a failed install of Altium and it needs to be reinstalled?

Might be a good time to confirm you've got a normal direct install of Altium on a Windows PC and are not running Altium within a VM on another OS or some such.

Good luck 🤞
Hina Mittal , 07-30-2023, 12:30 PM
Yes I am using the latest version of Altium and yes I have a normal direct install of Altium. What should I do now to complete the course?
WhoKnewKnows , 07-30-2023, 12:42 PM
Is this a Fedevel Academy course? If so I imagine @robertferanec will be along shortly to help out.

You might try downloading the course content again to confirm you haven't received a corrupted file(s).

If the project is publicly available, perhaps another member here who also has the latest Altium installed can download the project and also try the step that is causing you trouble?

Hina Mittal , 07-30-2023, 12:43 PM
Yes it is a Fedevel Academy course and I have tried to download 4 or 5 times and do the same process but not working.
WhoKnewKnows , 07-30-2023, 12:47 PM
Altium just released a new version days ago. Perhaps try installing a previous Altium version to see if it begins to work right?

Altium will usually let you have multiple Altium installs of various versions.

Hina Mittal , 07-30-2023, 12:49 PM
I have 23.6.0 version. Will it not work with this version?
WhoKnewKnows , 07-30-2023, 01:46 PM
IDK, I've never taken this course, don't know what course you're talking.

I'm just another member on this forum with slightly more Altium experience than you. I try to help out when I can.

Try identifying the course you're having trouble with. Perhaps someone with experience with that course will join our conversation.

I think I'm out of suggestions. 🤷
qdrives , 07-31-2023, 02:39 PM
An integrated library is a combination of schematic library and pcb library.
Is it possible to open it?
Can you extract the content? https://www.altium.com/documentation...grated-library

One other alternative is to try and open it with 7-zip and see if you can get the original SchLib and PcbLib files through that.
Hina Mittal , 08-01-2023, 04:49 AM
I am not able to generate integrated library at first place.

I am talking about Advanced PCB Layout Course in which I need the libraries to start.​
Hina Mittal , 08-01-2023, 07:06 AM
Can anyone help me with this?
qdrives , 08-01-2023, 01:13 PM
I was not talking about generating it, but extracting the original libraries as described in the link -- De-compiling.
qdrives , 08-01-2023, 01:21 PM
If you post the library here, others can test too.
Hina Mittal , 08-02-2023, 07:47 AM
I do not have the library that is the problem. Altium is crashing when I am trying to generate the library.
Hina Mittal , 08-02-2023, 07:49 AM
This is the error or crash​
WhoKnewKnows , 08-02-2023, 08:33 AM
It looks like the project is Robert's iMX-6 development board design. This should be a FOS project. Perhaps what the OP is trying to do is generate a library from the schematic symbols in the project schematics.

@qdrives do you have time to find this project, download it and try extracting the schematic library? If it doesn't crash, please note whether you're using the latest Altium like the OP is? Thanks 🙏

I think Robert is traveling. I just saw on LinkedIn where he met with Dave Jones. So he's probably on holiday to Australia 🦘
qdrives , 08-02-2023, 01:04 PM
Sorry, my bad.
1) You do not need an integrated library to do a design, but it may be needed to 'export' a library from an existing design.
2) I just done Design / Make integrated library and it was created. There were some error, but those are spice model related.
3) You could export a separate schematic and PCB library.
4) Have you validated the project?
qdrives , 08-02-2023, 01:18 PM
As for @WhoKnewKnows - I was able to download the design.
@Hina Mittal I export the integrated library without any errors.
Attached here. I will remove it in a couple of days.
AD 23.7.1, Win10, 21H2, I7-8750, 32GB ram.
Hina Mittal , 08-03-2023, 01:49 AM
Thanks a lot for your help!

Is this library for both development board and the module on it?
robertferanec , 08-03-2023, 02:33 AM
Can you generate libraries from other projects? Just to find out if the problem is Altium or project.

This is how it should work: https://youtu.be/zhuHE9b4C_8?t=178
qdrives , 08-03-2023, 02:11 PM
Could it be that you have no write privileges in the folder of the design? That is where Altium stores the library.
Use our interactive Discord forum to reply or ask new questions.
Discord invite
Discord forum link (after invitation)

Didn't find what you were looking for?